Pasteurization of food products is one of the possible heat treatments used to kill off the entire population of disease-producing bacteria and greatly reduce the total number of micro organisms. Pasteurization can be done in batch pasteurizers for small quantities or by means of continuous flow pasteurizers for larger daily production. Packo supplies pasteurization equipment for milk, fruit juices and liquid egg.
The product is poured in and heated to the temperature required for pasteurisation. Then, the product is kept at the pasteurisation temperature during a certain time. Meanwhile a homogeneous mixture is obtained. The product is than cooled down to the desired temperature.
- The entire batch pasteurizer is made of stainless steel and has insulated double walls. An electric heating element and a plate heat exchanger are integrated in a closed water system. An agitator ensures efficient mixing. The temperature is thermostatically controlled.
- The standard capacities are 150, 300 and 500 liter.
- The system includes a.o. a control panel, agitator, baffle plate, water circulation pump, heating element of 9, 12 or 18 kW, water filling valve, pressure relief valve, expansion vat and heat exchanger for cooling.
- Very solid, full stainless steel construction
- The crevice free design with an smooth surface finish ensures excellent cleanability.
- The corrosion free, closed loop system makes fast heating and cooling possible. Automated temperature control is integrated.
The liquid product is pumped in the buffer tank; then the product pump, installed on the unit, takes over and pumps the product into regenerative section of the plate heat exchanger. The product is heated up to the pasteurisation temperature and is kept at this temperature for a certain time. Then the pasteurised product is cooled down to a specified temperature. The product remains perfectly homogeneous throughout the process.
Protection of the product
In the event of an incident, e.g. power-cut, the product remaining in the pasteuriser is automatically expelled by pressure, thus ensuring that it can not block the heating section.
Temperature control and monitoring
Packo has developed a special PID control system to avoid blockage of the pasteuriser during heating. The precise temperature setting makes it possible to work for hours without interruption. The whole pasteurisation process is recorded.